Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pinterest Inspiration -


Posted by SarahA


Has your sister been ignoring your calls? Have your online friends disappeared from your facebook news feed? Your neighbor hasn't been seen in days? Well, that's because they're all checking out the crafty goodness at Pinterest! 


If you didn't know, Pinterest is an on-line pin board where you can save all of the awesome ideas you see floating around the www. You can also follow people and see what they pin, then repin it to your own board. 


This month, I decided to show you a few of my favorite pins and how I turned them into scrapbooking projects. Check out what inspired me below!


French  Toast Cupcakes
My favorite food is French toast- I'd eat it for every meal if I could. When I had a French toast cupcake with maple frosting at my local bakery, I knew I had to try to make them myself. I searched out a recipe, then pinned it on my Treats pinboard for later.  



After I made the cupcakes, I was sure to take a photo to scrap it. They were really that good! :) Next time you pin a recipe, make it, then scrap it! You could include just a photo like I did, include the recipe, or show your family enjoying it. Papers, die cuts and stickers from the Crate Paper Farmhouse line are just perfect for scrapping your food and recipe photos like I did here. And how could I not add some bakers twine to this layout?! 


If you're interested in the recipe I used, it is right here.


Library Time
I repinned this fun piece from someone else:



I really liked the color palatte and wanted to use it on a layout. Taking it another step further, I also tried to re-create the placement of each color. In my layout, you'll see a dark brown strip at the bottom, mimicking the COFFEE title on the print. 


The brads on my layout are also in the same position on my layout as they are on the print coming out of the coffee pot, and the light colored background is the same. I also used a large amount of bright pink on my layout, just as the largest item on the print is bright pink.  There are words on the top right of the print, so I added a quote to my layout in the same spot. 


You really can look at prints, posters and ads you might find on Pinterest and get just a little or a whole lot of layout inspiration!



Christmas Ornament
I saw this ornament on Pinterest and knew it would be perfect for a first Christmas ornament for my nephew:





I took the top off a plain glass ball, then used a Prima Branch to fill the ball with.  The stars were larger than the opening, but they bent slightly to go in, then went back to their normal shape right away.




I basically followed the instructions on the House of Smiths blog. I printed a small photo (depending on how large your ball is- I printed mine at  2x2 - but would recommend doing it smaller than that), then adhered it to a piece of paper from the Crate Paper Peppermint line. 


I printed out a little tag and adhered that to the paper, too. I then rolled it up just enough to fit inside, then slid it in. Once inside the ball, it unrolled itself and I was able to use tweezers to reposition it as needed. I felt it needed a little more pizzaz, so I slipped in a few strands of green tinsel as well. Here's a view from the side:




And the finished ornament:



Your Sweet Little Story
I had to save my favorite for last. I found this quote as a print on Pinterest, and I just knew I had to use it on a layout with the baby when he was still brand new. The original source of this print was not on Pinterest, and I can't find it, so I can't give proper credit, but isn't it the sweetest thing?





I liked the colors, too, so I used the yellow and grey scheme on my layout. You can't go on Pinterest and not see a chevron or herringbone print/fabric/craft/home decor piece because they are hot, hot, HOT right now! I used a paper from the Crate Paper Random line for the background and some yellow paper from My Mind's Eye's Good Day Sunshine line.


I first printed out the quote (the font is Channel and is very similar to the font from the Hallmark logo), then cut apart each word. I spent some time arranging them into a heart shape, inked each piece and then accidentally dumped all the words off when I went to sew on the buttons.


That turned out fine, though, because it gave me a chance to splatter a little Charcoal Maya Mist behind the words filling in a little of the empty space. I then glued the words down and that was that! There are tons and tons of quotes on Pinterest, so the next time you need a title or saying, they can be your first stop. 


Who knows, maybe you'll even be further inspired like I was with the colors, and your layout design will be a snap!




I'm also now hosting a Pinterest Inspiration Challenge each month, so keep your eye out for some other fun ideas from Pinterest from me and the others who play along. I'd love to see what inspires you!


Products used in this reveal:

Farmhouse Collection Kit By Crate PaperGood Paper - Amy Tangerine By American CraftsAccent Cuts Paper - Random By Crate PaperAdore Paper - Sunshine By My Minds EyeCharcoal Mist - Maya RoadPeppermint 6 x 6 Paper Pack By Crate Paper Black Snow Branch - Crystal Palace By PrimaAmy Tangerine Mix Tape #1 By American CraftsAmy Tangerine Buttons By American CraftsCappuccino Brown Bakers Twine, 15 YardsPeapod Green Bakers Twine, 15 YardsForever Label Stickers By My Minds EyeNatural Sunrise ThickersMemories Buttons By My Minds Eye

No comments: