Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Fun With PageMaps Sketches - Day 2

Posted by ScrapGoo

Welcome to day two of our mixed up sketch reveals!  Like yesterday, today's article will feature one sketch interpreted four different ways by four different CT members.  I chose today's sketch from the fabulous PageMaps.com for its interesting rows of squares and clean lines.  I am usually ALL about layering and piling on the goods so this was a nice change for me!

The sketch:


The Professor 


I used the Family Keepsake line from We R Memory Keepers on this page.  My little guy is posing in his nerdy bookwork outfit and it reminded me of his nickname, The Professor!  We call him this because he is always investigating, taking things apart, and trying to figure out how stuff works.  He is such a smartypants!

I used the sketch pretty traditionally.  My page is a mirror image of the sketch and I left the major design elements alone, choosing to cut squares of patterned paper and use the pre-printed border.  I decided to use kraft cardstock to let the muted colors of the pattened paper take center stage.  Instead of flowers (on the sketch) I used coordinating chipboard elements.  I also let my title overlap the photo because it tied the design areas together and, well, because it fit better!


Love


This is Janet's layout using this sketch.  See how she perfectly changed the design from a 12" x 12" to an 8 1/2" x 11"?  She used the adorable Cupcake Love line from Little Yellow Bicycle and it compliments this sweet photo so well!  She used stitching for the border and heart elements from the LYB line where the flowers are on the sketch.  I love how girly this is! Janet also eliminated the journaling lines from her layout and let the photo and simple title do the all the talking. 

Happy Valentine's Day


Sarah brings us back to 12" x 12" with this gorgeousness from the My Mind's Eye State of the Heart collection.  She decided to use the same paper for her squares, but varied the direction of the pattern.  And instead of a row under her photos (two this time!) she used strips of paper!  She also chose to move the placement of the embellishments to the center of some of the squares rather than scattered around the page.  I really love the simple drawn line border and the splatters of pink all over the page! 


She's 8!


Diane mixed things up by using products from Best Creation and matting the entire square design onto a background... pretty! And she used a pre-punched border to frame the layout.  She also moved the journaling to a strip at the top and let the embellishments and title stand alone on the verticle strip.  It is amazing to me how a different color scheme and slight changes in design make all our layouts look so different!



I hope you have been able to see the possibilities you can have from just one sketch!  We all interpreted the design in different ways but the end results are all fabulous in their own ways as well.  My advice when working with sketches is to not get too bogged down with making the your papers and elements work with the sketch but instead let the sketch change to what works for YOU.  

If you don't like a particular area or need to use a different amount of space or a different shape... go for it!  Sketches are great starting points to get your mojo flowing but ultimately it is still your page to design and play with.  Working with sketches should be fun... I know working with this one was!!!
-------------------------------------------------




ScrapGoo (aka: Jess) resides in Framingham, MA with her husband, one year old son and three spoiled cats.  Besides paper crafting, Jess enjoys entertaining friends, traveling and costume designing.

No comments: