Sunday, November 23, 2008

What's Your Tradition?

We were doing a little chatting at ACOT the other day about family holiday traditions. Some of us have very "traditional" family gatherings while others just would prefer to sit in front of a television with a big cup of hot, spicy soup and crunchy wontons.

Most of my family members live far away from me. We are incredibly close, but scheduling visits sometimes requires way too much ingenuity and brain matter. So, what will I be doing? Believe it or not...I LOVE to cook Thanksgiving dinner. My house will be filled with friends, family, some acquaintances or people I'll meet for the very first time.

Honestly, I NEVER know who will show up at my door for dinner and I love that! My friends know if they're somewhere they don't want to be that they are always welcome. Some years that might mean there are only 5 or 6 of us. Some years that might mean standing room only. The strange thing is, there always seems to be enough food to go around. I blame it on my mom. She was always cooking for someone or sharing what she had. Thanks mom. :)

So, I want to know what some of your traditions are! Or maybe your tradition is not to have a tradition. What's that one dish that HAS to be served? How many plates of food does it take until uncle Joe just passes completely out? Who has an earth moving recipe for peach cobbler? Seriously...who has it? I need one ASAP! LOL!

Thanks for sharing!






6 comments:

Ms. Cheryl said...

i'll be working a 12 hour shift in the ccu taking care of cardiac patients. i'll be eating traditional hospital processed turkey etc. and thinking of all those who are with thier families. i am thankful that i am able to care for those in need and unable to be with thier families at this time.enjoy your holiday.

Unknown said...

Hello Cheryl!

Well we are thankful you are there to take care of those who can't take care of themselves! :) That's pretty awesome.

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

I've made peach cobbler before, but it involved bisquick (hanging my head in shame...). Got to have candied sweet potatoes for me!

kimandasmom said...

Never had peach cobbler before--so no help here sorry. I love that you open your door and cook a fantastic meal. I will be working but my family will be at my Mil's.

carrie said...

Eggnog and Amaretto. As soon as my sister and I were old enough to drink my mom served us up a glass of this. Now that is the first thing she is doing when we walk in the door...handing us a glass of eggnog and Amaretto. Wouldn't be the holidays without it!

Unknown said...

Erica, my name is Heidi and I'm a Bisquick user. Hehehehe!

kimandasmom, I have a special place in my heart for people who work on a holiday! You help keep my world running.

Carrie! You happen to have a glass of that handy right now???